Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Why Buy A Cow When You Can Get The Milk For Free?

Remember that old adage? Mom’s used it to teach their daughters how to get a husband. The Lysastrada principle. Things have changed, but the concept still has validity. Become more universal. ‘Why Pay For It If You Can Get It For Free’.

This is a dominant thought in Palm Coast, these days where jobs are very hard to find and the economy is in the crapper. Us geriatrics were always hunting for the best early bird specials and all you can eat joints, but now its everyone and everything.

I re-opened my Fitness One membership recently. What a place. An outdoor track around a lake, a large pool with steam and Sauna, scads of elaborate machinery, a health bar/restaurant. Fancy locker rooms. Day care. Nicer than some of the private golf clubs I have belonged to.

And filled. Just filled with all these beautiful people. All this eye candy. All these activities and goings on. I couldn’t wait. A great social experience that might find me a real estate lead.

Forgettabout it.

There are often more employees and trainers there than members. And a former fitness club I belonged to, Alpha Fitness in the Pine Lakes Industrial Park, in town for years, suddenly put a sign on its door about a month ago and locked it. The owners skipped.

I must have been blind or unconscious not to figure with all the people I see mornings and evenings walking down the street past my house; peddling bicycles around in every neighborhood; on the beautiful new path along Pine Lakes Parkway; at the new Verticle Park… They’re getting Fitness for Free.
One big difference. It’s a BYO party.

Exercise alone or with your own friends. Fitness For Free geeks don’t dress to kill or hope to meet someone to hook up with. This is not a hunting ground like the Pay For It fitness joints (Except Curves!).

No wonder I didn’t notice. Didn’t pay attention. Us Geezers like things that stimulate our childhood memories!

I'll go out this morning and get some photos and videos of the Fitness for Free scene and add them to this post. I might get some dirty looks from suspicious walkers who carry sticks and canes. They are mostly from New York.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysistrata
http://www.fitnessoneinc.com/
http://www.ci.palm-coast.fl.us/Government/Departments/Recreation/Parks.aspx

No comments: