Thursday, November 19, 2009

I Swear To You

No more swearwords.  I have been using salty language in my blogs to be "with it", for shock value, because that seems to be the way most young people talk to each other these days.  Girls and Boys.  I have avoided the f word.  That's going too far for me.  But I have generously used many of the common ones.

It's gotten so that the Clinton popularized "suck" word had become acceptable for even small children to use in TV commercials.  Our America has truly changed.

I am 72.  Grew up with old fashion values.  I was a Mormon for years. Never swore.

But now I am schitzy.  I slip out of "crude but clever" to "refined Bucknell grad" at will.  In my home and talking with my wife, no swearwords.  Writing the blog and acting macho with my SAE fraternity brothers and selected others, I swear.

DECISION:  No more swearwords in this blog.  I had lunch with one of my closest friends who I love and respect.  I had asked him to read my blog and give me some advice.  He said he believed I should drop the bad language.  My first thought was how can I get laughs and be clever if I don't use shocking language.  Maybe I can't.  Tough.  I don't want to contribute any longer to this degrading of values that has crept into our culture.  From now on I'm Teddy Terrific.    Not Rots! 

Let me know what you think.  Post a comment.

No comments: