Sunday, November 22, 2009

Blacks Are Chicken!

This whole myth about Black People loving watermelons is crap. Us intellectuals know they really don’t. They can’t pick out a sweet, ripe watermelon from the stack at Public's any better than Whitey. And they can’t cook one any better, either!


But they sure as hell can fry chicken. I found that out when Barb and I were first married; back in 1962. We discovered a little joint in the Black Section of Atlantic City that sold nothing but fried chicken to go. It was always packed with African Americans and only sold take out. We drove there all the way from Ocean City to get that chicken. It was the best anywhere at any price.

Until later in the 1960’s and the riots and stuff. We went in there together and got some looks and heard some unwelcoming remarks that scared the Macho out of me. Never went back. Never found fried chicken that good, either.

Not for years. Not until we were living here in Palm Coast and somehow found out about Bunnell and it’s chicken. Bunnell was the Black population center of Palm Coast when we moved here in 1996. It had the worst elementary school achievement records, the worst crime rate, the worst hospital and the poorest of everything. And it was the capital of the county! Now it has our new County Facilities (our Taj Mahal) they moved the hospital, and it’s becoming gentrified, sort of. I think it’s a great real estate play.

So after being scared away from the chicken place in Atlantic City, you can see why I was a bit scared several years ago when somehow I learned about this great chicken inside a Citgo station in Bunnell. But after all, I am part black, remember…see my post “It’s Great To Be Black in Palm Coast”. And besides I have a carry permit. So one evening, Glock in waistband, I ventured into this gas station and bought some chicken.. Carumba! Heaven! The best fried chicken since Atlantic City!

I won’t tell you its location. They always run out. Sometimes you can wait for the guy to cook up another batch, but if you go in there after four thirty you are taking your chances. Lots of local color hanging around inside and out. Typical Old South, though Whitey seems to have all the jobs in there. Maybe even owns it now. Two breasts, four wings, and three potato logs; logs, not fries you ninny! For under $10. You know I am not going to give an address.

And there is another great Chicken Place in Bunnell. The Chicken Pantry. Just south of Route 100 on US #1. Fantastic home cooked food and they don’t usually run out of chicken. You can sit down inside or outside and eat. Lawyers and Loafers. Ties and Tattoos. Great camaraderie. One of the best examples of the new Integrated South you can find. Try it, You’ll Like It. We sure do.

Anyway, I have joined the NAACP and the local African American Cultural Society http://www.africanamericanculturalcenterpalmcoast.org/   I have not heard from either yet. I thought my possible relationship to the Moors who conquered Sicily would qualify me for membership. Once I get my membership cards I will attend some functions.

An aside: Espanola is supposed to be a historically significant Black place in Palm Coast. I plan to look into it more and will let you know. It has a Brick Road there that I have been meaning to travel one day when I want to find Toto. Espanola is an unincorporated community in Flagler County, Florida, United States. It is located at the intersection of Old Brick Road and Flagler County Road 205. The town covers a very small area, with an area of only 2 miles. It is part of the Palm Coast Metropolitan Statistical Area.

I looked for something on its history. I could only find this: “'The Rev' revives segregation-era schoolhouse in Espanola. Schoolhouse renovation revived by The Rev in Espanola." This Daytona Beach News-Journal Archive contains no photos, charts, or graphics. They wanted $2.95 for the article so I passed.

The AfroAmericanCenter’s website talks about an Espanola Cultural Center. I hope they mean the Espanola in Palm Coast, but they may mean the big fancy one in Espanola, Dade County:

From HISTORY FESTIVAL KEEPS GROWING
Apr 2, 1987 - BLACK SETTLEMENTS IN AMERICA -- Architectural exhibit shows black history from 1865 to present. 9 am to 5 pm today through May 31 at the ... ESPAnOLA FANTASY DAYS -- Festival plays off unique village architecture of Espanola Way to re-create a pirates' market and courtyard theater. ... "


God Bless You, Namaste, Alluha Akbar and
Black is Beautiful!

No comments: