Thursday, October 22, 2009

Fast Start

My friend Andy Rice, who is a great web designer, (andy@creativepages.net) introduced me to his wife, Connie-who I hired to tutor me in writing blogs. Connie also writes for www.examiner.com about food. So rather than start my food rant from scratch; I just copied her article and added my comments. It's a real good start. I will add videos, photos and more stuff later. If she sues me I will fire her.


Top ten restaurants in Palm Coast Florida
June 19, 8:46 PM Daytona Food Examiner Connie Rice

Ten years ago the most popular place in Palm Coast, Florida was the KFC. This quiet coastal town has come a long way since then. The closest city to both I-95 and the Atlantic coast of Florida, Palm Coast has attracted many vari eties of restaurant since its unprecedented population boom over the past decade.
Palm Coast is a great place for a spectrum of inspired food, infamous altercations involving calzones notwithstanding. A sampling of the best restaurants would have to include this top ten list:

Thai by Thai - beautifully designed and decorated interior, simple Thai fare at reasonable prices, and phenomenal take out. Standouts are the fresh spring rolls and the Tom Ka Gai soup, as well as the Mussuman curry. A great, small restaurant in the old PC shopping center. I will add my favorites later. I wouldn't call it beautiful. "No table cloths" type. Nice though.

Kokoro - the superior sushi restaurant that rates at the top on Tripadvisor for Palm Coast. Only five minutes off I-95 and some of the best Japanese fare and service in the United States. There is simply nothing there that is not over the top delicious. Have not been able to afford to go here yet. It is on my list. I will take Connie's word for it-she's finniky

Golden Corral - one of the larger restaurant chains in the South and most definitely the best buffet out there. It features a vegetarian's fantasy salad bar and steaks cooked to order. I'm overweight and havent been here either but our early bird special, limited budget friends say to go about 3:30-4:00 pm to get the lunch prices then linger until they put the dinner stuff out and you can pig out on that, too.

Barbara Jeans - fun Southern-style cooking and crab cakes a la Maryland. The pumpkin cornbread served before the meal will bring you back again and again. The rich, homecooked accompanying side dishes are superb. Nonsense. this is a franchise deal. The original one is in Ponte Vedra and has great food. Ours has limited the menu and is really struggling. As is all of European Village. 

High Tides/Snack Jack's - gets the award for hardest name to keep straight, and best seafood in the city. Freshly caught snook is prepared several ways and served on handsome sandwiches. Technically located in Flagler Beach, Florida but close enough and vital enough to be on this list. Hanging precariously over the ocean it has a great view and usually a rowdy crowd. Lot of beer. Lots of laughs. Lots of regulars; but where to park??

Highjackers - it's all about the atmosphere as you watch the small planes take off at Palm Coast's municipal airport. Try the beer cheese soup appetizer; it makes a good main course as well. The most kid friendly restaurant in town; adults favor it highly as well. If you don't use the internet for dating, go here after work. Lots of good beers. The best peel and eat shrimp. Large, fun place. Except for all the damn children. Same owners as Snack Jacks. They named the place before 9/11. Couldn't afford to change the name after it happened. We forgive them. 

Mezzaluna - the most happening place in town almost any day of the week. Located in the rather curiously designed European Village retail/residential center along with Barbara Jeans. European VIllage is known for late night music and revelry, and Mezzaluna boasts great Italian food. Most people think they have the best pizza in town. I am part Sicilian and old. I like the traditional stuff. All the creative newvo pizza ain't for me. I plan a blog on all the independent pizza shops in town. Son (forgot the name; I take Aricept!) runs this one. Daddy jjust moved out and opened another Mezzaluna's in the new Town Square shopping center.

Strathmore Bagels - like most of the restaurants in Palm Coast, this deli has a very authentic New York vibe. The bagels and lox platters are works of art on the plate, and hugely satisfying. Usually impossible to leave without a sweet treat from the bakery. Good place. More like Long Island than Manhattan. The waitstaff are fun. The coffee is great. I can pass for Jewish and so can this franchise restaurant chain.

Firehouse Subs - delicious and somehow a step above Subway and Quiznos in the quick custom sub sandwich category. Huge selection of hot sauces are to be found as well as firefigher-inspired restaurant design. Get the Italian sub, "fully involved". I used to eat lots of them when they first opened and I was at Weichert. Got tired of them. I rotate now. All are commonplace chains Subway is cheapest.

Steak 'n Shake - go back in time to chocolate malts and succulent "steakburgers". Their low fat offerings have improved recently as well, and any family member will find something they like at this retro diner. Steak 'n Shake is the only restaurant on this list with a drive-thru, the food cooked to order. Another chain. But they cook the burgers on a griddle like Waffle House and they have that old '50s taste. Sometime I think its worth the wait for them to be cooked and go there.


For more information, please contact daytonafoodex@gmail.com

1 comment:

Connie Rice said...

Ted! Thank you so much - I love this! :-)

I like the valet parking at High Tides myself...