Friday, February 12, 2010

Tribes in Palm Coast

I just posted a topic on Forums at FlaglerOnline.com
I am repeating it here...

I recently mentioned tribes in a post...I was referring to the family orientation and other cultural values shared by cultures where family members live in close proximity to each other and look after each other.

I grew up with 18 aunts and uncles and tons of cousins all living near me at the shore in New Jersey. My lifestyle and culture changed after I graduated college and was hired by DuPont who transferred me all around the country. This "college to corporate employment" with the resulting corporate transfers was really the beginning-of-the-end of close family relationships; tribal relationships.

Palm Coast is blessed with many large ethnic groups. Someone accused me of "steering", but I am interested in the value of our cultural groups gathering and sharing. Here is a good example of what could happen in Palm Coast...


http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/france/100209/little-france-brooklyn
New York's Little France blossoms
Some French who have made Carroll Gardens home tout its benefits over their native land.

No comments: