Monday, March 1, 2010

GoToby!...for Cystic Fibrosis

Toby Tobin writes a great real estate newsletter at GoToby.com. I have used much of the information he gathers in my career as a real estate broker, I have advertised in his newletter and I often use exerpts or quotes from it in this blog. Toby has requested help for a cure for Cystic Fibrosis. His eight year old granddaughter suffers from chronic Cystic Fibrosis and a cure is her only long-term hope.


Here is a bit of what Toby put in his posting:

TOBY: I cannot express Faith's plight as well as the following letter from her mother. Please read it and give if you can (and forward this message to others). You can learn more and donate on-line at: Faith Shaw's Great Strides Website or by mail. Send a check or money order made payable to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (with “Team Faith Striders” in the memo section) to:

Cystic Fibrosis Foundation - Charlotte Chapter
Attn Laura Neal
7506 E Independence Blvd, Suite 120
Charlotte, NC 28227

THE LETTER:

Dear family & friends,

It saddens me to report that Faith’s follow-up visit with the CF doctor yesterday was discouraging. Months of oral antibiotics to get her lung capacity back to reasonable numbers proved unsuccessful. We began a two-week regimen of I.V. antibiotics which has succeeded in the past. It looked to be headed that way again after week one. But something changed. Her cough returned at the beginning of the second week. Yesterday we found that not only had her lung function NOT improved, it had actually gotten worse! We have never faced this before.

Although her doctor told me not to be discouraged, I admittedly find it very difficult not to be. Whereas I trust we will eventually win this immediate battle, my heart is heavy as I now look at the war from a new perspective.

I now realize that unless a cure is found, the day will come when no treatment, no therapy, no antibiotic will help and we will lose her. There is no “growing out of it”… no remission … only hope that a cure will be found in time.

This realization is the driving force behind our participation in the CF GREAT STRIDES Walk for a Cure, and the reason I've been promoting it so strongly, now with an added sense of urgency.

If you're unable to donate, I understand. I would never ever ask or expect anyone to give what they don’t have or out of what’s necessary to provide for your own! I only ask that you consider supporting our efforts by spreading the word and forwarding this information on to as many people as possible.

If you have already made a donation, I TRULY thank you with ALL my heart and would ask that you consider furthering your support by spreading the word.

If you haven’t made a donation but would like to, you can do so easily and securely online at Faith Shaw's Great Strides Website. If you are unable or uncomfortable donating online, you can send a check or money order made payable to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (with “Team Faith Striders” in the memo section) to:

Cystic Fibrosis Foundation - Charlotte Chapter
Attn Laura Neal
7506 E Independence Blvd, Suite 120
Charlotte, NC 28227

And of course if you would like to show your support by walking with us on May 1st at Frank Liske Park in Concord, we’d LOVE to have you! You can register as a walker at the same website I’ve listed above. There is no registration fee.

Please join with me in fervent prayer for Faith in her fight against this devastating disease. I whole-heartedly appreciate whatever means of support you are able and willing to offer, whether a monetary donation, joining our team for the walk, spreading the word to help raise awareness, etc… all of which are so important in helping the Foundation’s goal of making CF stand for “Cure Found!”

God bless you all.

Sincerely,

Susan Shaw

LINK TO GOTOBY:  http://gotoby.com/

No comments: