Saturday, November 2, 2013

I Was Shocked

I was going through my email.  Deleting most of the political rants.  Reading some of them.  I chose to read this one and was shocked and surprised to think about how long ago it has been since I held my hand on my heart and repeated the Pledge of Allegiance.  I just finished watching the World Series and was moved to hear the wonderful renditions of our National Anthem and "O Beautiful for Spacious Skys" and refresh my memory of a couple of the lines where I had to think for a minute.

I read the current version of the Pledge in this email and could not believe I would have not gotten it right had I tried.  (I probably would have forgotten to say "of the United States of America").   The different versions are at the end of this post.

Yes. Of course keep God in it.  "Under God" was not introduced until I was already in high school and had recited it hundreds of time without "God".   I am not really sure what being a nation "under God" really means, since so many different authorities are proclaiming different ideas about what God wanted from me.   But, being raised and educated as a believing Christian, I went along with the change.  What the hell.

And now I still think the phrase is fine.  Almost everyone in the world believes someone created it and us; it did not just happen.  We argue about how it happened.  But most of us can't bring ourselves to really believe  there was not some creator.  Some first cause.  Someone did it.

I think you have to be seriously against authority of any kind to choose to believe there is no "God".  Moral authority is really what all this fuss is about.  Moral authority brings power and control.  And power and control brings money.  I don't like authority much myself.  But I have chosen one I like.  A Heavenly Father, forgiveness of my sins, life everlasting.  I like that.  And my decision to believe has  been confirmed by some experiences that passeth all understanding.

I choose to believe.  I am comforted by the concept of my "Heavenly Father".  I go to sleep in peace.  Awake I try to behave on advice from my "Higher Self".   What I think Jesus would do if he were in my place.  I may not do it.  But I do try to give his advice lots of consideration.  I feel good about making decisions that way.  I usually go to a church.  I have an ongoing dialog with my God.  I try to walk my talk.    It works for me.  Thank you, Jesus.  God is Good.
 (signed "Mr. Wonderful").

You?  Whether you believe in a Golden Calf or call your God Allah; I really do not care.  It's what you do or do not do that will have an effect on me.

So if you call yourself an atheist that's ok.   But you are making a choice.  And it is just that.  Your choice.   The existence of a creator cannot yet be proved or disproved.  (I may find out something important soon, I am 76 with a heart condition!)

I vote to keep God in the Pledge and let me and many others enjoy what some call our religious "fantasies".  If that makes atheists feel uncomfortable and left out; well that's their choice.  They could instead choose to feel superior.  To feel more intelligent.  More rational.  Then keeping God in the Pledge can allow them to feel they embrace a philosophy that makes them superior to lots of people.  Sort of a Moral Authority.

Here are the different versions of the Pledge:

 
Official versions 
(changes in bold italics) 
1892 
"I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands: one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all."
1892 to 1923 
"I pledge allegiance to my flag and to the republic for which it stands: one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all."
1923 to 1924 
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States and to the republic for which it stands: one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all."
1924 to 1954 
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands; one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all."
1954 to Present 
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America , and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

No comments: