Wednesday, August 18, 2010

DEMOCRACY HAS A PROBLEM

I went to a “Meet the Candidates” night last night. I had attended one a few weeks ago. Want to become more politically active and informed. Think the country is at a tipping point.

The Problem: too many choices, too little  information, no organization of content. We are having a primary election here on August 24. The sample ballot had 78 names on it; some of them duplicated in the “Nonpartisan” sections. And the labels: "Circuit Judge, 7th Circuit, Group 3"   Define that for me please??

You can’t do good research on all these candidates. The best I can do is get a quick first impression or take some partisan’s word that their guy is best…and not too many of my friends-one’s whose political judgment I respect and feel akin to-are political partisans.

I have put “Campaign Financing” at the top of my list of priorities for the country. This is one area where the government does have to step in. Integrating and evaluating info from my internet, TV, print, and radio sources is impossible for me to do well. We need an effective system in place that makes it easy to become educated on issues and to learn where candidates stand.

I will take a shot and vote in this election, but who I vote for will depend more on the Holy Spirit than my reasoning capacity, and I am not sure God wants to take a position for me.

Term Limits is second on my list of political priorities. But if I can’t figure out who to vote for in the first place; why worry more about term limits.

Since I can’t make a well-informed decision on who to vote for, I offered to sign an absentee ballot for $10 for anyone who wants my vote. I think that would be a better way to buy votes than spending money on all those negative, Taqiyya and Kitmun television ads that are driving me crazy. Can I do that legally?

No comments: